Eric Bodenweiser

Local News
9:42 am
Wed July 16, 2014

Eric Bodenweiser to be Retried on Molestation Charges

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

DOVER, Del. (AP) - The Delaware attorney general's office has decided to retry a former Delaware state Senate candidate accused of molesting a boy more than 20 years ago.

Joe Rogalsky, a spokesman for the office, said in a statement Tuesday that prosecutors will retry 55-year-old Eric Bodenweiser.

Bodenweiser was accused of repeatedly molesting the boy between October 1987 and August 1990.

A Sussex County judge declared a mistrial last month after jurors were unable to agree on a verdict.

Read more
Local News
8:36 am
Tue June 17, 2014

Mistrial in Bodenweiser Molestation Case

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) - A judge has declared a mistrial in the trial of a former Delaware state Senate candidate accused of molesting a 10-year-old boy 27 years ago.

Superior Court Judge E. Scott Bradley ruled the mistrial Monday after jurors, on their second day of deliberations, said they could not agree on 55-year-old Eric Bodenweiser's guilt or innocence.

Bodenweiser had been charged with 15 offenses. He is accused of repeatedly molesting the boy between October 1987 and August 1990.

The alleged victim, now 37, testified during the two-week trial.

Read more
Local News
9:47 am
Fri June 13, 2014

Bodenweiser Admits Showing Porn to Molestation Accuser

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

Former state Senate candidate Eric Bodenweiser took the stand in his sexual molestation trial and admitted that he did show his accuser adult movies – which he called “a horrible mistake.”

But he denied any sexual wrong doing.

Bodenweiser said that in 1991 he found his alleged accuser had broken into his house and looking at a copy of Playboy in his bedroom and initially told him to leave.

But eventually, he said, he allowed the boy who was 14 years old at the time to watch pornographic videos in his home. 

Read more
Local News
8:40 am
Fri June 6, 2014

Bodenwiser Atty Asks If Accuser Was Coached

Credit Don Rush

The attorney for Eric Bodenweiser field a motion yesterday for an immediate court hearing on whether his accuser in his molestation case was coached.

The former Delaware state Senate Candidate has been accused of sexual abuse in the late 1980’s when the alleged victim was between 10 and 12 years old.

Defense attorney Joe Hurley told the judge that the victim’s appearance and voice seemed to improve which he called suspicious.

On Tuesday the alleged victim appeared angry – even yelling at Hurley.

The following day he was more visibly in control.

Read more
Local News
8:26 am
Wed June 4, 2014

Accuser Clashes With Defense Atty in Bodenweiser Sexual Abuse Trial

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit mugshot

Things heated up between the man accusing former state Senate candidate Eric Bodenweiser of sexual abuse and his defense attorney in a Delaware courtroom yesterday.

The alleged victim says he was molested as a young boy during the 1980’s.

As defense attorney Joe Hurley sparred with him over – what Hurley said – were five inconsistencies in previous interviews

At one point the alleged victim lashed out saying “I don’t know how you could defend someone like that.”

Read more
Local News
8:53 am
Mon June 2, 2014

Eric Bodenweiser to Face Alleged Molestation Victim in Court

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) - A former Delaware state Senate candidate and a man he is accused of molesting as a young boy are about to face each other in court.

A man who claims he was repeatedly molested by Eric Bodenweiser more than 20 years ago is scheduled to take the stand Monday in Bodenweiser's criminal trial.

The 55-year-old Bodenweiser is charged with 14 counts each of unlawful sexual intercourse and unlawful sexual contact. He could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted.

Read more
Local News
8:11 am
Thu May 22, 2014

Bodenweiser Rejects Plea Deal in Sex Abuse Case

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

A once leading conservative leader in Delaware Eric Bodenweiswer has rejected a plea deal from prosecutors in a case involving charges of sexually abusing a boy.

Superior Court judge E. Scott Bradley has set the trial to begin Tuesday and expects it to last around a week.

The 55-year old Bodenweiser won the Republican primary for state senate in the Georgetown area in 2012.

But he stopped campaigning just before he was indicted.

He was replaced by Brian Pettyjohn who won the election.

Bodenweiser is charged with abusing a boy between 1987 and 1990.

Read more
News
9:05 am
Thu August 8, 2013

Bond Hearing for Bodenweiser in Child Molestation Case

Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Delaware Department of Justice

DOVER, Del. (AP) - A Sussex County judge has ordered a bond review hearing for a former state Senate candidate charged with repeatedly molesting a boy more than 20 years ago.

Fifty-four-year-old Eric Bodenweiser was released on $250,000 bond in October, subject to GPS monitoring and supervision by probation and parole officials, but that bond will be reviewed at Friday's hearing.

Such bond reviews can be ordered when a defendant awaiting trial is accused of violating the terms of his release.

Read more
News
12:39 pm
Mon November 19, 2012

Bodenweiser Denies Sex Abuse Allegation

Former Delaware State Senate Candidate Eric Bodenweiser
Credit Bodenweiser, Del. Dept. of Justice

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - A former Delaware state Senate candidate is denying sex charges that forced him to quit the race.


Eric Bodenweiser issued a statement Saturday saying he absolutely and forcefully denies the allegations. Bodenweiser's attorney says he is scheduled to appear Monday at hearing in the case in Sussex County Superior Court.


The News Journal reported that attorney Joe Hurley said his client is speaking out now to avoid the perception he agrees with what the attorney called a disturbingly false accusation.

Read more
new
9:57 am
Wed October 24, 2012

State Senate Race Drew Sex Abuse Charges in Delaware

Eric Bodenweiser
bodenweiser, Delaware Department of Justice

Eric Bodenweiser’s decision to run for a Delaware state senate seat caused his accuser to report 25 year old charges of child sexual abuse to the authorities.


The Wilmington News Journal reports that is what the accuser told the paper on the condition that he not be named.


The News Journal has a policy of not identifying victims of sexual abuse.


An indictment was handed down on Monday that charges Bodenweiser with repeated sexual relations with a boy who lived in his neighborhood in Frankford in the late 1980’s.

Read more
news
8:58 am
Tue October 23, 2012

Eric Bodenweiser Indicted on Child Molestation Charges

Eric Bodenweiser
bodenweiser, Delaware Department of Justice

DOVER, Del. (AP) - A Republican who recently dropped out of a state Senate race for personal reasons has been indicted on charges of child sexual abuse.


A Sussex County grand jury indicted Eric Bodenweiser on Monday on 39 counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and 74 counts of unlawful sexual contact.


Authorities said the 53-year-old Bodenweiser turned himself into state police and was committed to the Sussex Correctional Institution in default of $250,000 secured bail. It was not immediately clear if he has hired a lawyer.

Read more