State Budget Cuts Impact Appoquinimink School Construction

Jul 12, 2017

Credit Don Rush

The Appoquinimink School District will be shelling out more of its local share for some construction projects after the Delaware state budget cuts.

But the district’s finance director Chuck Longfellow told the Wilmington News Journal that there will be no effect on the taxpayers or school operations.

Under the referendum that provided local taxpayer for the construction local government was to foot 25 percent of the bill while the state was supposed to pick up the other 75 percent.

But whether construction will stay on schedule will depend on how much the General Assembly sets aside in next year’s bond bill.

The money is going for the construction of a new elementary, middle and high schools which are expected to be completed by 2020-21 term.