Tue May 14, 2013
Sexual Assault Suit Against Vance Phillips; OC Manager David Recor Faces Restraining Court Order
A lawsuit has been filed against veteran Sussex County council member Vance Phillips claiming that he sexually assaulted a young woman after encouraging her to become involved in politics.
The complaint claims that Phillips forced sex on the woman several times in 2011 just after she turned 18.
The suit alleges that Phillips threatened the young woman not to tell anyone.
Phillips told the WBOC that he had not seen the complaint but looks forward to telling his side of the story.
WBOC reports that he added that he felt very confident that the truth will come out but declined to say if he had sex with the woman.
The television station reports after members of the General Assembly received an anonymous letter claiming that Phillips had been involved with an underage girl the Delaware State Police carried out an investigation.
Phillips attorney Joe Hurley said that he was told by the attorney general’s office that no there would be no criminal prosecution.
Ocean City manager David Recor has been hit with a temporary restraining order.
The Salisbury Daily Times reports that while such orders are filed as domestic violence measure in civil court the paper says online court records do not say who filed it.
A hearing is set for Friday in Snow Hill District Court.
Recor issued a statement saying that this was a difficult time for his family and asked the public to respect the privacy of his family during “this very painful and personal matter.”