Mon November 19, 2012
Bodenweiser Denies Sex Abuse Allegation
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - A former Delaware state Senate candidate is denying sex charges that forced him to quit the race.
Eric Bodenweiser issued a statement Saturday saying he absolutely and forcefully denies the allegations. Bodenweiser's attorney says he is scheduled to appear Monday at hearing in the case in Sussex County Superior Court.
The News Journal reported that attorney Joe Hurley said his client is speaking out now to avoid the perception he agrees with what the attorney called a disturbingly false accusation.
Bodenweiser is accused of sexually abusing a boy between 1987 and 1990. Bodenweiser had won the Republican primary and was favored to win the 19th District seat when he was indicted last month and withdrew.
Former Georgetown Mayor Brian Pettyjohn replaced him and won the seat.